The Arts is an Area of Learning in the N.I. curriculum that has three strands: Art and Design, Drama, and Music and these areas aim to develop children’s creativity and encourage them to express their ideas, feelings and interpretations of the world through pictures, sound, drama and dance.
The Arts provides opportunities for children to develop:
- their curiosity, imagination and creativity;
- their self-confidence and self-esteem;
- their artistic, musical and kinaesthetic abilities, including gross and fine motor skills;
- verbal and non-verbal modes of expression;
- an appreciation of the beauty and wonder of the world around them;
- their ability to make informed choices and decisions; and
- an awareness of other cultures.